Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Fort Nelson to Whitehorse

Julie, a woman from Nova Scotia who moved to Fort Nelson, was on the bus yesterday. She is a wonderful person, and she really loves Fort Nelson. We’d hoped to do an interview this morning at our motel, but I discovered too late that there was no one at the reception then. So if she did come by, she had no way of finding the room. Julie, if you happen by some miracle to read this, I’m really sorry I didn’t notice this earlier and I hope you weren’t too put out! Hopefully our paths will cross again!

The moon is out again, and staring out the window I get the sensation that this bus is the only thing that is left of civilization. The highway has become two snow-covered lanes, and there are no other vehicles out there. Not even a trucker to break the darkness. Earlier I caught sight of moose at the side of the road, darting into the forest as we approached. My first glimpse of them. Pictures don’t do them justice, but I will do my best. Around this area there are also wild horses, buffalo, elk, wolves, reindeer, and apparently giant porcupines. Hiding in the shadows no doubt.

No comments: