Saturday, April 08, 2006

Bonavista and heading for Nova Scotia

Well, we came to Bonavista thinking we'd stay a night, and take the taxi back the next day, and be on the ferry for Nova Scotia that night. Yeah, right. We ended up three nights, cause this place is just too beautiful. I'm consoling myself that I'll be back here again someday.

The bed and breakfast we're in is a five minute walk to the ocean, and a 15 minute walk to the lighthouse. We first figured we couldn't leave til we saw that, hence the first extra night. So we headed out there in the morning. It was like the backdrop to my fantasy script. Huge waves crashing against black slabs of rock, little windswept islands. At one point we could see huge needles of rock jutting up from the ocean further down the coast, almost lost in the spray and fog. I'll have to post pictures here when I finally get home. It was spectacular. It's the first thing to remind me of the northern coast of the Outer Hebrides in Scotland.

Anyway, as we were heading back to town, a couple asked us if we wanted a lift. They took us on a tour to the waterfall and cave, some nearby villages, and the town. Then Ray mentioned he could take us all along the peninsula to Trinity the next day if we'd still be around. We couldn't pass that up, hence another extra night.

That night we met up with the guys we'd met on the taxi. Did some interviews with their friends, and drank, and hung out, and had a lot of fun. And I actually won a game of pool, which does not happen often.

So the next day we ended up with Ray and his wife again, and got to see the villages along the coast. Trinity was beautiful. I'd heard about a theatrical troupe run by Donna Butt, who was awarded the Order of Canada for keeping the culture alive. She wasn't around unfortunately, but again, I gotta come back.

And that night we ended up interviewing one of the most successful people in the town, who's about to open an elderly home. We also got to interview the mayor, which was awesome. She had a lot to say about everything from tourism to sealhunting.

And today we've left Bonavista, heading for Halifax. We have an hour taxi ride to the highway, then about a 12 hour bus ride to the ferry. But they have movies! We've watched Miss Congeniality 2 twice and the Wedding Planner twice. No, not the one with Adam Sandler, the one with JLo. No, she can't act, and she really doesn't help a 12 hour bus ride . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outer Hebrides - I live there. Some pictures of a few of the many beaches out here on my blog at:

http://silversprite.wordpress.com/tag/beaches/

Lufu Pictures said...

Heya John! Beautiful pictures! I spent a month on the Outer Hebrides in October a few years ago, checking out the Gatliff Trust hostels. Was in Berneray a week and a half; Howmore for a week - made it to the tip of South Uist, but not across to Barra; Tarbert for a couple of nights; Rhenigidale for a week; and the last few nights at Garenin. Though I managed to make it up to Ness, and was at Callanais for Halloween night. I didn't want to leave, and I keep planning on going back someday. Hopefully next year. Where abouts do you live?

John said...

I live on Berneray; I set up and maintain the website for the island.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.