Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Fredericton to Rivière-du-Loup

We left the Maritimes today and made it back into Quebec. In some ways, the trip didn’t feel quite complete - we didn't see the Bay of Fundy, missed Magnetic Hill, didn't see the little fishing villages or the rocky shores. However, the people we met were amazing, and the interviews were awesome. So really my problem is that sometimes I start thinking like a tourist and not like a filmmaker. In the end, our main reason for doing all this wasn't to see the highlights, but get some kind of understanding of what the place is all about. And I think we got close to that.

And the good sign is that I'm not stressed right now (which is surprising for me). It could be because I'm still slightly hung-over and crashing off sugar and cake from last night's party at Ewan's, but I'd like to think it's cause I'm excited about the footage we've gotten. I can start to see how it fits together. Here's hoping it looks the same when we get to the editing . . .

I have one last observation - there was a huge amount of public works going on in New Brunswick. Maybe it's just that time of year starting up, but we seemed to pass a lot today. Two bridges being built, a team repairing or rewiring or re-something some telephone poles, a crew putting up a whole bunch of reflective fencing along the road. For whatever reason, that comes to mind.

We got in to Rivière-du-Loup and decided to walk up to the hostel. Up being the operative word. I don't mind all the time spent on the bus, but I am really gonna have to do some hiking when I get back home. We lugged our packs up a big hill, then kinda wandered in what we hoped was the right direction as the sun vanished. We met a couple people along the way, and through our broken French, managed to find out we were heading the right way. And finally made it here, where we discovered we have to take the 8 am ferry if we're gonna catch the bus to Chicoutimi. As we're only going to get about 5 hours sleep, I'm gonna crash.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.