Friday, June 30, 2006

Calgary to Coquitlam - homeward bound

We're heading home. It's kind of fitting that it's an overnight trip, cause we've spent so much time sleeping on buses. I think I've finally stopped beating myself up for not writing more about the trip and the people. I've been trying to think of more insightful things to say about Canada and all the people we've met and how much we've learned, but I'm just always so bloody tired. It's all I can do to make sure the camera's still in my pocket and I've got my bus pass, and I know where we're going next and the phone number for whoever we're meeting, or the address of the next interview. The scheduling has taken over my life. I've found myself longing more than once for the tranquility of that fishing boat. Or the couple of times when interviews just fell into our laps - due to the work of people in the area. Becky in Thompson and Ewan in Fredericton - and if I start listing, I will probably go on forever. We met so many incredible people who were willing to open their homes and lives to us, and take on our project for the brief period we were there. I wish we could have stayed longer in everyplace we stopped.

Calgary included! The guys were staying with are taking innertubes down the Bow River, which runs through the city. Man, if the passes didn't run out today, we'd still be there. I must admit, we took it easy in Calgary. Did a couple of interviews at the house, met up with a couchsurfer and did a really cool interview with her, and then hooked up with Max from Hamilton and hung out with him for a while. And even took some time to sit outside a cafe and have a frappe. That is rare.

Soon we'll be home. It's weird to think I can sleep in my own bed tonight and wake up and not go anywhere. We've been travelling long enough that the thought is kinda relieving, but I know I'll have the travel itch again before long.

No comments: