Saturday, June 10, 2006

Prince Rupert to Prince George

Well, we're off our schedule, but we got to see Prince Rupert with the SeaFest going on, which was pretty cool. We even got to catch a performance by some Haida dancers. It was really quite cool they way they began - there were some drummers on stage, and very slowly, all around us, this singing became apparent. It sounded like the audience was singing. The performers appeared from behind us, and made their procession down to the stage. I'd been to performances with that sort of entrance before, but this was really effective.

We also got to check out the old cannery - which even has a hotel in it, if you want an authentic old-timers northern BC experience. And we went wandering through the brush above the beach, checking out the World War II underground bunkers and tunnels that were built in case of an attack. That was kinda creepy. They're all overgrown and partially filled with water, so we couldn't go in very far, but far enough to get the picture.

I would have loved to stay longer - exploring more of the bunkers, and seeing the rest of the SeaFest - but we have to get going. So we're on our way to Prince George. At this point I'd like to put in a word about the various bus drivers across the country. They are, for the most part, extremely cool. I remember being on a night bus heading across Ontario the first time. We'd just switched drivers, and I was sitting in the front row, slumped up against the window, attempting to sleep. The driver brought his satellite radio on, and turned it on very softly, and Ozzy was on with Crazy Train. I love that song, and you can't not get into that intro. So I was leaning closer to hear it better, and I mentioned that it was a pity it was so late and he couldn't blast it, the way it was meant to be played. He told me it was being fed through the system, and I could put my headphones on and listen to it there. It rocked! I was up all night, and it was absolutely awesome.

And the drivers in northern BC, time and again, are the funniest group. Sorry to generalize, but heading up to Prince George the first time, as we were pulling in, the driver thanked us for choosing Greyhound over all our other options. This time, we have a new driver, who's learning while watching another driver work. And as we continued down the highway, we switched drivers, but the first guy stayed on. So there are three of them, cracking jokes, enjoying their job. It's really quite cool. I wish all bus rides were like this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my name is michael and i am really interested in the bunkers around rupert area. I am from Rupert and I
have only found a couple. I know that there is more around. If you have any info on the history of world war 2 in Prince Rupert or pictures that you would like to share can you please e-mail them to mikebomben@hotmail.com. Thank you for your time.

Flame_563 said...

Hi, my name is Andrew and i'm also interested in the underground bunkers in Prince Rupert. Since i will be going for a hike up to Mount Hays starting at Barrett Rock, i was just wondering what would be the safest way to walk over the ground without suddenly falling through the escape patches. If you have any info about his just e-mail me at arocha@sd52.bc.ca. Thanks

Lufu Pictures said...

Hi guys, I would love to be able to give you directions to where we went, but I don't really remember. I think we were on the road towards Ridley Island, and at some point we just pulled over and started walking through the brush. It took a lot of starting and stopping and retracing our tracks - there wasn't a path we were following. I wouldn't suggest just wandering out there, it was really easy to get lost! I wish I could help you further. Maybe try looking for tourism places or historical societies in Prince Rupert - or even the library might have info on where the sites are. Good luck!