Friday, March 31, 2006

North Sydney to Stephenville

Well, we're finally in Newfoundland. We had a bit of a start when we got to the ferry - apparently we were supposed to reserve spots, even as walk-on passengers. However, while the guy behind the desk was putting us on the waiting list (and making us sweat), more places became available or something, and we got our tickets. I'm not too sure what the deal was - considering there were maybe 20 other walk-ons and not much traffic - but I guess I'd have to suggest booking tickets to anyone taking the ferry to Newfoundland. Just to save yourself a scare if nothing else.

But all that was forgotten once we were on the ferry. First thing that surprised me, it was really, really empty. I had thought there wasn't much traffic, but this was crazy. I'd been hoping to run around and get interviews - and maybe find a ride to St. John's or somewhere along the way to St. John's - but the truckers had vanished - sleeping I was told, and most of the other passengers were getting wrapped up in the crappy movie.

We met James on the ferry and hung out with him for a bit. He was also looking to hitchhike out towards St. John's - only he lives out that way, so he probably has about 1000x better chance of getting a ride. He told us that Deer Lake, about 4 hrs east of the ferry terminal in Port-aux-Basques, is a good place to hitch though, cause it's a crossroads for the east and the north and a lot of truckers stop there.

I wanted to catch him for an interview, but we ended up on deck instead as the ferry was pulling out. Good thing, there was a thin layer of ice burgs out in the distance. It was kind of surreal, this line of white cutting through the ocean. And even more surreal as we plowed toward it, and then through the ice. And Neil even spotted a seal out on the ice which I missed. Grrr. Next time.

The ride was about 7 hours long. We ended up meeting up with Werner, who owns a lodge in Margaree Forks in Nova Scotia. He'd never been to Newfoundland, and didn't really know where he was gonna end up for the night. But he offered to take us along, and we happily agreed. So, against the odds, we managed a ride, and got to interview him. Things were looking up.

And when Newfoundland came into view, I decided that no matter what happened or where we ended up, it would be worth it. I can't describe the feeling seeing Newfoundland for the first time, it was just too gorgeous. I'll post some of the footage on here someday, but that won't do it justice. The cliffs, and the snow, and the little craggy islands. I thought we'd crossed over into another land. I guess we kinda did.

Werner took a look at the map, and Stephenville seemed close enough and big enough to check out for the evening. So we headed that way. It wasn't exactly what any of us expected, though I probably couldn't have told you what I did expect. Though it did have karaoke, so it can't be that bad a place. After dumping our stuff at a motel, we went to check out the nightlife. Too late to work tonight. And there are a few pubs. And a live performance that we caught a bit of. It was one of the last pubs by this point, and Neil and I were exhausted. We must sound like the height of wussiness, but this next-to-nonstop travelling is about as far from a vacation as we could get I think. Anyway, we ended up back at the motel. And I'm gonna crash. But if you would like to enjoy more of the live performance, you can check out Alex's stuff online: http://spaces.msn.com/alexstolethesun/ Personally, I like "My Mess" and "My Way Back"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.