Friday, March 03, 2006

Whitehorse to Saskatoon

So this has been my longest bus trip - 43 hours from departure to arrival, with about 36 of those hours actually on the bus. It started out fairly empty, then filled up somewhere between Fort Nelson and Dawson Creek. I had a guy next to me who had been in the bush working at a camp for the past two weeks, and he was really cool. Made the trip a little less solitary.

We passed through the mountains, and ended up in the plains of Alberta, which was a bit weird for me cause I'm so used to taking a route through the Rockies and then having the foothills. This time, it was like I blinked and suddenly it was flat. Or maybe I woke up and suddenly it was flat. Everything kinda blends together on long bus rides, and after the first 24 hours, time ceases to mean anything.

At some point I had an 18 year old who was from Germany sitting beside me. In some ways it made me feel great to see someone so young from so far away staying in some little town in Alberta, making connections with kids there. In some ways it made me feel old, that I'd waited too long to make a relatively simple trip across my own country. Ah, we're all where we're meant to be.

In Edmonton I had a 5 hour layover, and I met up with an old friend from elementary school (now that made me feel old), and I got to go for dinner with her and her husband and her adorable son. Thanks again for the tour around the city!

And now a midnight bus to Saskatoon. Watching the lights pass by, so many single lights surrounded by a void of darkness. It almost feels like there is no land beneath us. Maybe I'm just really tired again.

No comments: