Friday, March 10, 2006

Winnipeg

My first impression of Winnipeg - I got off the bus and ran into Dennis, a guy I met at the hostel in Whitehorse. He'd been to Vancouver in the time between, and just happened to be on a layover waiting for a bus to Montreal. How crazy was that. Maybe we'll hook up again in Montreal. Nothing surprises me anymore.

My second impression - the cabbie who took me to Carolyn's place was just about one of the coolest people I've ever met. He has some great ideas on government reform and achieving true democracy - something I've come across a few times so far. I'm glad I'm coming back through, he was working so an interview wouldn't have worked, but I'll catch him in May.

Also Winnipeg is a lot bigger than I thought. I hadn't quite realized that it is the largest city for a couple of provinces, and that everyone seems to feed into it. My deep knowledge of Canada basically stopped at the borders of Saskatchewan (really the borders of Saskatoon), so finding this relatively huge city with a really cool mulitcultural vibe in the prairies was kinda refreshing. And Carolyn took me to a great place for Ethiopian food, which was awesome. A long wait, but worth it in the end. Ok, maybe not worth missing the karaoke for, but there's always more karaoke somewhere :)

Anyway, I got to meet some of the very cool people at the CNIB, and managed a couple of interviews. And some sightseeing and repacking and reorganizing. It never seems to be finished. I can't wait to get to Hamilton to drop off some of the completed tapes and some of the more unnecessary stuff that I swore I needed. This travelling thing is a chore in itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi really think the blog is great read it as often as i can an cant wait for u to release the book on ur canadian journey from phil