Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Thompson, and the ride to Winnipeg

Ok, I came to Thompson without any expectations. Well, maybe one - I figured it would be cold. I was blown away.

First off, huge thanks to Becky and Travis. It's the people who make a trip worth travelling, and Becky and Travis made Thompson feel like home for a couple days. Becky picked me up at the bus station at 1:30 am, introduced me to her big friendly dog, and gave me her spare room, complete with big comfy bed. The next day, she skipped her class to take me on a wirlwind tour of the most interesting people in Thompson. Ten interviews in one day. We met with Crazy Pete, and a couple of people who work at the Boys and Girls Club, and some of Becky's fellow nursing students, and a couple of friends who popped over, and finally a Cree drummer, who allowed me to film his band's performance that night. I was so exhausted I couldn't think by the end of the day. Actually, I'm still trying to recover, so sorry I'm not describing more. My brain is shutting down. But the footage was gold, and Travis topped it off with a wild caribou steak dinner. I couldn't have imagined a better experience of Thompson, and I only hope my time in other cities is half as cool.

I'm heading down to Winnipeg now, which should also be really cool, cause I get to meet up with Carolyn, a friend I worked with in London. There are a lot of trees on the road to Winnipeg. That's about as insightful as I'm going to get right now.

No comments: